Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Gambler~ Dreams of The Jester


Emerging from a long and darkened corridor, I enter the space, unnoticed. Halted by voices, I quietly peer into a chamber illuminated by firelight. Where am I? I should flee but am captivated by knowing.

The Jester faces me. He is intent on the hand he is playing, and does not regard my presence. I can see the opponent’s hand. I want to have a sense of how the game is going and slowly, inaudibly, move my position to see the opponent’s expression. I am aghast to see my own face!

What fascinating state dreaming is. For many years I kept journals of my nightly escapades. I documented and illustrated the events, endeavoring to capture the emotional quality of each dream experience. Colors were vivid, and lighting always distinct. Many of these entries were transformed into paintings, etchings, and artist books.

I don’t gamble in my day-life but the Jester recurs in my dreams. Sometimes he is leading a group of followers; sometimes he is alone. I always find myself in the position of the observer and can’t seem to have direct contact with him. In this case, I am observing both the Jester and myself. So~ if I am in the scene, who is the one watching? If I am the one watching, who is in the scene?

Melody Phaneuf's paintings have been exhibited at Galerie Herouet in Paris, The National Arts Club in New York City, and were included in a traveling exposition in Japan. Her work is regularly displayed at the Guild of Boston Artists, 162 Newbury Street, Boston, MA. Melody is a member of the Fenway Studios Cooperative, a community of Boston artists whose historic north light building was modeled on the 19th century Parisian Ateliers. Studio visits are welcomed.

Gambler II, Oil Painting, 16 x 20, Private Collection

Gambler II, Open Edition Print, Note Cards and Bookmarks are available at MelodyTheArtist.com/shop

About the Jester and Dreams~

No comments: